Friday, June 25, 2010

What Contributes to a Revit Models Overall Size?


We recently had a situation where we wanted to take a model on the road to a client's office. The model was hovering around the 100 MB mark and there was a concern of it being sluggish. The goal of the meeting was to spin around the model while having an open discussion with the client....

The initial question was; can the model be made smaller? This exercise turned into a lesson in what contributes to the models overall size.

So, can the model be made smaller? The answer is YES, but at what cost. What can be deleted? What will you need to show the client? Do you need to keep; sheets, schedules, views? The list of questions goes on and on and really depends on your goal.

So, I did a quick test on the impact of deleting items from the model. In my defense, if I were to do this again, I would be more methodical in my steps (purge after each step from the get-go, etc.), but you'll get the point by reviewing my results below.

A couple things to note:
1. Every project will be different...
2. Step #8 (Removing the Architectural Sheets + purge) may be skewed slightly since this is the first purge I did.
3. I compacted the model during each STC. Most of the time, Windows Explorer reported a larger number (typically 2x the "real" size), but a quick refresh (F5) displayed the correct size.
4. The file I worked with was a detached copy of the original central file.

I've highlighted the top 5 steps where we got the most bang for the buck.


No comments: